Friday 7 January 2011

an unexpected e-mail

Today I made chicken drumsticks (and 29 chocolate chip cookies). The drumsticks were a fusion of recipes by Martha Stewart and Nigella Lawson.

The drumsticks were marinated in buttermilk, a mix of spices (ground cumin, cayenne pepper, dry mustard, Maldon salt and coarsely ground black pepper), and a touch of golden syrup. Then it's coated in a flour-and-cornmeal mix and deep-fried roasted in the oven (220˚C) for 30 minutes. The Martha Stewart version is the flour/cornmeal coating and deep-fry, whereas Nigella Lawson's has no crispy coating. I wanted the crispy coating without the grease so voila - this is my version. Some of the coating got stuck to the wire rack though so it didn't look very golden and pretty. But the buttermilk marinade is pretty awesome 'cause the lactic acid keeps the meat juicy and tender.


Today I received an e-mail from someone closely related but it was rather unexpected. I was really moved and touched by her e-mail, and it comes at the crucial time when I am really frustrated with the job-hunting failures. Honestly I haven't really studied Japanese or done much research for dissertation lately (at least I practice speaking Japanese with my colleagues at the restaurant), because I've been so preoccupied with job applications. This e-mail I received today is the most wonderful thing that has happened to me since Boxing Day. I can find the sisterly support I've never had.

No comments:

Post a Comment