Saturday 8 January 2011

another photo-less blog

Another apology. I'm afraid I hadn't taken any photos today. I shall figure out how to do this 'cause I spend Tuesdays and Saturdays at work and these are 10-hour shifts so by the time I get home it's 2200 and I'm exhausted...

My work is pretty boring so I won't blog about it here. I just sit behind the cashier and give out advice or suggestions to people wanting to buy Japanese food products. Sometimes people come in looking for ingredients to make sushi, so I direct them to the rolling mat, seaweed, soy sauce, wasabi, rice and rice vinegar. Since the end of Christmas it's been quite slow at work, not many customers (they've probably spent too much during Christmas). But then recently I've started doing some graphic design for the shop and restaurant and it makes me feel a little better.

I studied Art at school until I left for university, and I had been doing life drawings since I was 5 or 6. I guess I was pretty good at drawing (not painting though). My best moments came when I was 13 and I did a sketch of the side profile of my friend Alice in about 10 minutes during art class - and the resemblance surprised even myself. The other moment that I'm proud about is during one parents' evening (in Year 9 - I was 14), my D.T. (Design & Technology) teacher - the respected and adored Mr. Gee - told me that I should seriously consider design as a career. At that time I really did consider doing graphic design as a career...but then having pragmatic Asian parents I knew it was going to be really tough and competitive so I gave up that aspiration.


Last month I used the existing logos and illustrations the restaurant already has, and designed gift vouchers. My boss was pleased and she said I was "artistic". Haha I don't think I've heard that word for a long time! I'm now working on a new dessert menu. I don't claim to be artistic though, it's all thanks to Adobe Photoshop CS ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment