Sunday 2 January 2011

extra-ordinary

I added the hyphen between "extra" and "ordinary" because it has been extra (in other words, "very") ordinary. The climax of the day may have been blasting Bon Jovi through the speakers whilst eating mashed avocado on toasts in my room.

Today I made chocolate chip cookies, using the recipe from The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. I'm a fan of the bakery and its cookbook, especially the recipes for Green Tea cupcakes, Lavender cupcakes, and pumpkin pie. I haven't tried all the recipes yet, but so far I have found its chocolate brownies and chocolate chip cookies too greasy. From now on I shall stick to Martha Stewart's for the cookies.

I bought this cookbook (Martha Stewart's Cooking School) at Kinokuniya bookshop at Hankyu Umeda station, while I was studying in Japan last year. There was a sale on English books and I bought this for 2,000yen. It's a hardback and has five hundred pages of traditional recipes ranging from sauces and soups to pasta and pies.

See how bored I am right now? I am writing about a cookbook. Okay yes I do love this cookbook...but writing about it is not as fun as cooking from it. Tomorrow I shall make chicken piccata.

I don't intend to make this blog into Julie and Julia (as much as I loved that film), but right now cooking is probably my only passion. I haven't really gone out to take photos, not since going to the Lake District on Halloween. Even though I bought a long-desired Polaroid SLR 680 last month I have yet to find the money to buy the film. I have just ordered another cookbook off amazon.co.uk. Having learned to make several French dishes, I thought I'd try some Italian, that's why I chose to buy Marcella Hazan's masterpiece. Shall let you (whoever you are) know how that goes :)

2 comments:

  1. You would make a pretty awesome version of Julie and Julia, just saying. :) And you should learn to cook Texan style dishes!! haha And I know what you mean about not taking photos lately, I've been having trouble finding inspiration :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm maybe I'll explore Texan food. any recommendations for a good cookbook? I've heard of the American classic "The Joy of Cooking", but it's not specifically Southern food though

    ReplyDelete