Saturday 6 February 2010

Der Rosenkavalier

I'd been looking forward to this opera - it starred my favourite opera singer, Renee Fleming, in her signature role of Marschallin. Ms. Fleming is arguably one of the most loved sopranos in the opera world, especially in the States (she sang at the inauguration of President Obama). Although she's not so versatile as to sing all soprano roles (her Violetta wasn't as impressive as Angela Gheorghiu's at Covent Garden), Ms. Fleming is known for her Strauss and Mozart roles.

Speaking of Strauss and Mozart, there are many similarities between Strauss's Der Rosenkavalier and Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro:
  • Marschallin and the Countess: both are women of status and power, and both have flings with a young man (Octavian and Cherubino)
  • Octavian and Cherubino: both are trouser roles for mezzo-sopranos, and both young men fall for a woman superior in status and age (Marschallin and the Countess)
  • Sophie and Susanna: both light soprano roles and slightly inferior to Marschallin/the Countess.
  • Baron Ochs and Count Almaviva: the philandering aristocrat; both baritone roles.
Perhaps it's because of this comparison, (and maybe I was exhausted when I watched the 4-hours-and-20-minutes long Der Rosenkavalier), I think I prefer Mozart to Strauss. The story of Figaro is more comedic and enjoyable; and while Strauss's music is more complex, I prefer the simplicity of Mozart's score. The final trio of Rosenkavalier ("Marie Theres'!...Hab' mir's gelobt") is, I have to admit, quite amazing. The way the three female voices intertwine with each other is just mind-blowing and sends shivers down the spine.

To summarise my experience -
I liked: Renee Fleming's singing, Susan Graham's performance as Octavian (yay go mezzo!), the trio in Act 3
I didn't like: the lack of beautiful and melodic arias, Christine Schafer's singing - too light for my taste (I know the role of Sophie is supposed to be sung by a light soprano, I just don't really like that kind of voice).

No comments:

Post a Comment