Monday 19 October 2009

"True English" 「悪口雑言辞典」

After dinner at the shokudo I went to the university bookshop to get some stationery. In the languages and linguistics section of the shop, a book caught my eye - "True English"「悪口雑言辞典」. It's a Japanese book written by a Brit - to teach Japanese "true" English, i.e. slangs and swear words.

Sebastian and I were hugely amused by the book to the extent that we both bought a copy.

The first chapter begins with "fuck", and the following explanation in Japanese was:
非常に複雑な語であり、別に1節をもうけて説明しています(78ページ)。
Turning to page 78, there's an entire chapter named 「四文字言葉ーfuckという語」, teaching the Japanese how and when to use the F word, as a verb, emphasis, adverb or adjective.

The next chapter lists words that could all mean 馬鹿 in Japanese, here's a selection:
idiot, numpty, prick, nob, dickhead, twat
And the following phrases all mean "go away" (あっちへ行け!):
I don't mean to be rude but please leave me alone.
Sod off.
Piss off.
Fuck off.
Get out of my sight.
Get off my back.
Back off.
Fuck off or die.
**********

This book is going to keep me amused for the rest of the year!

P.S. I love how in the alcohol/drinking chapter there's a photo of a Mancunian pub in front of the Manchester Wheel in Exchange Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment