Saturday 3 October 2009

the first weekend

I'm blogging from one of the academic buildings at Osaka University.

Finally, today I went out to Umeda and saw the quintessential Japanese city of Osaka, with all the neon lights and millions of pedestrians and giant shops and department stores. After completing alien registration at the ward office we decided to head to Umeda. It took us almost 1000 yen for a 2-hour return trip to Umeda. I bought a kettle from Yodobashi Camera, and on the way back we stopped by the 百円 shop (the Japanese equivalent of the pound shop) and bought more stuff. I also bought laundry detergent so now I can do laundry before I run out of clothes.

I'm convinced that I'll catch a cold sometime soon. Everyday we're exhausted because of many things and errands to do and run. The temperature is quite high during the day (25-27 degrees celcius) but it drops down to around 17 in the evening. I've only brought a few summer clothes with me so in the morning I don't really know how to dress for the day. Obviously I can some clothes here but I don't want to spend money on unnecessary things before I get my first scholarship payment. I'm not sure whether I have enough money left for the rest of the month.

Here's the schedule for next week:

Monday 5th: hand in 2 essays as part of placement test
Tuesday 6th: open bank account
Wednesday 7th: someone turns 21; placement test; medical check
Thursday 8th: placement test (interview); library orientation
Friday 9th: orientation on university life

No comments:

Post a Comment