Wednesday 6 January 2010

Opera in cinema

Ever since I discovered that Cineworld held screenings of live broadcasts from New York's Metropolitan Opera, I went to the cinema in East Didsbury whenever I could.

This season I have yet to do so, but I've already found a cinema in Osaka's Namba that put on operas from the Met (not live broadcast though).

While I'm missing the concerts and theatres in London terribly, I just found out that Cineworld has, instead of the Metropolitan Opera, changed to show operas from Covent Garden and the Glyndebourne Festival (http://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/event/opera). I appreciate the endeavour to support the national arts scene, but I'd like to have the Met opera back please. It's just that the Met seems to be always getting all the high-profile divas (e.g. Renee Fleming and Angela Gheorghiu) to sing lead roles, and some of the productions in Manhattan have amazing stage settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment