Friday 23 April 2010

Kotohira 琴平

I spent last Friday and Saturday with 28 fellow students in Kawaga prefecture in the Shikoku region. It was my first time to step foot in the island of Shikoku. It was a university trip to watch Konpira kabuki theatre. Not many student joined this trip 'cause the cost was twice of what we paid for Shirahama and Hiroshima (8000yen instead of 4000yen), but it was worth every yen.

When we arrived at the hotel in Kotohira we were given our tickets to the kabuki theatre, the tickets alone cost 13,000yen per person! Plus the hotel we stayed for the night was amazing - there were outdoor baths and one of the ladies' baths there were roses floating on the surface! The dinner was mediocre but the breakfast buffet was jaw-droppingly good. I had crab for breakfast!

Friday was spent mainly at the historical kabuki theatre. It was packed with audience, and the kabuki was much more interested than I imagined. I had seen kabuki once before, at Sadler's Wells in London, back in June '06. I remembered it being quite boring and not much happened during the performance... but this time it was fast-paced, funny, and 3.5 hours didn't seem long at all.


Saturday morning we went to the nearby Kotohira-gu (金刀比羅宮), a Shinto shrine in the hills, hence the 1368 steps required to climb before reaching the last of the numerous shrine buildings in the forest.







After we returned to sea-level, we rewarded ourselves with the local 讃岐うどん (Sanuki udon) which Kagawa prefecture is famous for. I think the main difference between Sanuki udon and normal udon is the texture, I don't know how to explain it but I liked it very much.

On the way back to Honshu we stopped at Awaji on Awaji-jima (淡路島), and was introduced to the local Awaji puppet theatre (淡路人形浄瑠璃) with a short demonstration and performance from a scene from a puppet theatre play.

I liked Kawaga prefecutre - the atmosphere was relaxed, quite different from Osaka (although Minoh is about the same! in terms of countryside-ness), and I can't wait to go there again next week - the much anticipated ROAD TRIP :D

No comments:

Post a Comment